Townsend Building Supply began as Hughes Law Lumber located in Chipley, Florida in the early 1920's. The exact date is unknown, but records date as far back as 1921. The company began as a sawmill; evolving into a building supply over time. In 1944 L.B. Peaden and A.F. Townsend purchase the business as a partnership and continued to operate together until 1949 when Townsend purchased Peaden’s share of the company. It has been solely owned by the Townsend family ever since.
In 1972 Dale Townsend began full time employment with the Company and purchased the Company from Austin and Allean Townsend in 1974. In 2003 the third generation member of the family, Michael Townsend, became employed with the Company. In June 2005 Turner Townsend also became employed with Townsend Building Supply.
On June 17, 2009 the company expanded to two new locations through the acquisition of Hendricks Building Supply in Troy and Ozark, Alabama. This acquisition was a significant step in the growth of Townsend Building Supply. These two new stores were officially opened for business five days later on June 22, 2009.
The company's expansion efforts continued in January 2011. It was then that Townsend Building Supply acquired the Andersen Window and Door Showroom in Dothan, Alabama. This showroom specializes in premium Andersen and Eagle windows and doors, but also sells all types of doors, windows and millwork.
Once again, in December of 2011 the company expanded by purchasing the assets of Chapman Building Systems, a roofing and floor truss manufacturer in Dothan, Alabama. This acquisition enabled the company to better serve its residential and commercial construction customers by providing quality truss design and manufacturing in house rather than through a third party.
Townsend Building Supply’s mission is to provide best in class customer service to the residential and commercial contractors in the Wiregrass Region.